Wednesday, March 1, 2006

A Cause for Celebration

If you look hard enough, you can always find a holday. I didn't even have to look very hard, this time.

Sure, sure, it's Ash Wednesday, and Catholics around the world are going around looking like careless smokers, but in Wales, it's St. David's Day. Much happier.
Dewi is sometimes known, in Welsh, as 'Dewi Ddyfrwr' (David the Water Drinker) and, indeed, water was an important part of his life - he is said to have drunk nothing else. Sometimes, as a self-imposed penance, he would stand up to his neck in a lake of cold water, reciting Scripture. Little wonder, then, that some authors have seen Dewi as an early Puritan!
One of the things I love most about religion, is that these people are celebrated for doing this stuff, whereas if I were to try this today, my family would just put me somewhere to "rest". Fabulous.

No comments: