Monday, September 27, 2004

The Difference Between Assassination and Terrorism

I've been reading:
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=6340069
http://freeinternetpress.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2120

Found at http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3693488.stm:

The assassination in Damascus is the best embodiment of the term terrorism... There must be a reaction at all levels so that Israel understands that it cannot get away easily with violating the sovereignty of Arab states.

Jordan's Al-Dustur


From The Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary:

Main Entry: ter·ror·ism
Pronunciation: 'ter-&r-"i-z&m
Function: noun
: the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion

Main Entry: as·sas·si·nate
Pronunciation: &-'sa-s&n-"At
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): -nat·ed; -nat·ing
1 : to injure or destroy unexpectedly and treacherously
2 : to murder by sudden or secret attack usually for impersonal reasons

Hunh. I guess that they're pretty compatable, really, definition-wise. Thing is, I have a major bone to pick with that quote, up there, from the Al-Dustur. In my opinion, the "best" embodiment of the term terrorism is an oxymoron. I can't use positive terms to describe something so despicable. But if I must describe the "best" embodiment of terrorism, wouldn't it be something that was designed to strike terror into the hearts of many, many more people? I mean, come on, they just killed one guy! Knowing that the Israeli government was targeting leaders of militant groups that are trying to destroy Israel just wouldn't terrify me as much as the idea that an 18-year-old girl next to me in line at the airport might be willing to blow herself up in order to do as much damage as possible to a group of travelers who aren't involved. I'm more terrified by people who target random civilian groups. I am.

Here's another quote posted on the BBC's site:

Damascus will, as usual, probably avoid retaliating directly in the Golan Heights to this blow to its heart. The most efficient response would be to continue its "peace attack", which embarrasses Israel, and continue Syria's role in sponsoring the Palestinian dialogue.

Commentary by Hasan al-Batal in Palestinian Al-Ayyam


Peace Attack. This man is implying that Syria and it's citizens are not committing any violent acts, but rather are just representing themselves in negotiations and these things are being done by other people. And someone believes him. He doesn't sound terrorized. He sounds pompous.

Assassination is a terrible thing to resort to, but in my peace-loving mind, you know, the one that says that taking another life, *any* life, is a terrible sad thing, I'd rather see someone targeted who at least is asking for it. Being the a LEADER in the Hammas operation is knowing you're in danger. Buying fruit at the market is going about your normal life.

You want to know what my idea is of the best embodiment of the word terrorism? It's using young people, who have been so brainwashed that they think that taking a group of unrelated lives actually helps their cause, to commit acts of killing and destruction that should by rights be repulsive to even think about. That people line up to kill themselves like this sends a good dose of terror right down to the bottom of my stomach.


I feel strongly about the peace in the Middle East issue. I spent 7 months of my life in Israel in college, and being there changes you. I had my bag searched at every door. I waited, sometimes for hours, for public transportation to start up again because a package had been found in the street and the bomb squad had to come get it. I saw soldiers running, guns poised, in order to go defend other soldiers at a grenade attack at the Western Wall. Well, I saw it for a few seconds. I quickly got in a cab going the other direction.

These experiences made me angry, and possessive of a country that I don't even live in. I started to see how nothing could be solved without violence. Then, I started to see how nothing could be solved with violence, either. I don't support the violent move that the Israelis may have made - they don't outright admit it last time I checked, but you'd have to be an idiot to think they didn't do it - but I can't condemn it, either. They targeted someone who was both feet in the fight, and took him out. Some random insurance salesman trying to get to a meeting in another part of the country was never involved. To me, that's a lot less terrifying.

No comments: