Wednesday, May 17, 2006

There's More Than One Immigration Bill?

When I saw the headline "Immigration Bill Moves Forward", I had no idea what bill it was talking about. Everything *I've* heard lately about immigration is all about fences, National Guardsmen, and "Visiting Worker" programs. So I was surprised when it started out like this:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Senate on Wednesday approved a compromise that would bar illegal immigrants with criminal records from becoming legal residents or U.S. citizens.
Bar illegal immigrants with criminal records from becoming legal? Is this new?! Then, though, I kept reading and never fear, the constant talking points are here!
The 99-0 vote on the amendment blocking felons and people with three misdemeanor convictions was a key hurdle for the bipartisan immigration bill, which would tighten border security while creating a guest worker program and a path toward citizenship for many of the nation's estimated 11 million to 12 million illegal immigrants.
Ah, so it *is* all about that same stuff. Thank goodness, I was worried I was missing something, there.

Then, I came up with a question about this whole "barring illegals with a criminal record from becoming legals" angle. Does a criminal record come with being arrested for being an illegal immigrant?

No comments: