Wednesday, January 25, 2006

I Respectfully Disagree

Reading Atrios today, I clicked on the article he called "Wanker of the Day". I usually agree, today I didn't. Atrios feels that Joel Stein has it wrong in his article "Warriors and Wusses". I, on the other hand, do not. So, I wrote in the comments section:
I can't agree that this piece makes "wanker of the day". Caring about the individual while loathing the war isn't an idiotic position, whether you agree with it or not. Quite frankly, when I think of something I can do to "support the troops", it's always send over packages of eye drops. That's what I do. Maybe it's stupid, maybe it's useful, I don't know. I do know that it's not glorifying war the way parades do.
After writing it, I realized I was comment number 266, and no one would ever see it. That's when I remembered that I have this blog thing...

So that's it. I think that parades are about war, and that soldiers are people, most of whom are just doing what they think is right. Sure, some are crazy violence-lovers, but hey, at least they've found a legal outlet for their aggressions. These guys are necessary for the world we live in (as opposed to the world I'd *like* us to live in), so I send them stuff, but I don't see how some hip hop star lip-synching while standing in the back of a convertible helps them, right now.

No comments: