Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Wake-up Call - Think For Yourself!

Ever read something and feel like you're being slapped in the face? That's how I felt yesterday when I read "Enlighten-New Jersey" for the first time. It's not just that they're spouting pretty much the opposite of what all my opinions are, it's that they're being, well, snide about it. The overall tone is just so "if you disagree with us, you're stoooopid!" that I'm having a hard time making it through all the posts. Actually, now I feel really guilty about anything I've ever written with that tone.

I try to be fair, although I don't know why, since this is, after all, just a forum for my opinions, so I'll point out the fact that this site has *really* good writing. The style has impact, and keeps you reading through the end of the post. I don't think I do that as well as they do, actually. But the opinions! Woo! Harsh! I just wasn't expecting to see things like this from something with "New Jersey" in the name.

Let's take today's post for example. It's about the Corzine suggested health plan.
How dumb does Corzine think we are? Upfront indeed.
How dumb does he think we are? That is so not helpful. I posted a comment:
Nice tone. You guys do understand that "up front" means the *first* round of money, right? And I'm sure that you get that the $19.33 figure is what it takes to get the program started, not how much it will cost to run it.

Programs cost money. Taking care of people's health is worth it.
I think that this is a good time to repeat my constant line: "Programs cost money, and someone has to pay for them". Property taxes in NJ are too high? Cut programs. Programs aren't the problem, you say? Re-work the spending. My daddy used to tell me, "Tami, you know what the difference between Democrats and Republicans is? Democrats tax and spend, and Republicans borrow and spend".

Want to see what Corzine has proposed in his own words? Go ahead, read it yourself. See if there's an idea in there that you can't agree with.

On the Republican side of the house, go ahead and read Doug Forrester's proposed reduction of property taxes. See if you can find out exactly where the 30% will come from. Which state jobs are "unnecessary"? What are the differences between Democratic programs and Republican ones that indicate the "Democrats' spending addiction"? The explanations just aren't there. How am I supposed to make an informed decision if no one is informing me?

There's a quote on the top of the page at Enlighten NJ: "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives." I agree, people - arm yourselves.

No comments: