Wednesday, March 2, 2005

Maybe We're Not *In* Kansas Anymore

Via Atrios:

Kansas Voters Keep Anti-Bias Ordinance
Voters on Tuesday upheld an ordinance that prohibits discrimination against homosexuals in municipal hiring, turning back a repeal movement led by a minister known for picketing the funerals of AIDS victims.

...

In final, unofficial results, 53 percent opposed the repeal, with 14,285 voting "no," and 12,795 voting "yes."
All right, I personally find this margin way too slim for comfort, but in an area of the country where I expect the majority of people voting to be terrified homophobes who refuse to be shown reason, I'm heartened.

Was that too harsh? Maybe. I don't actually know anyone who lives in Kansas, although I've known people who've left Kansas.

Either way, if you know me at all, you know that I feel that the municipality should hire the person who would do the best job of filing your home remodeling permits, no matter what race, religion, creed, or sexual orientation they may be. As long as the applicant with the absolute best command of alphabetizing gets the position, I'm satisfied.

In the article, Rev. Phelps is quoted as calling homosexuality a "filthy lifestyle". Oh, like being heterosexual in any way guarantees that you're not living a filthy lifestyle outside the office, but being gay does. This guy's a bigoted jerk.

No comments: