Friday, March 18, 2005

Intolerance

And this time, the intolerant one is *me*!

Ron Beasley, from Middle Earth Journal, whom I usually enjoy reading, has put a piece called "It's not a matter of choice". Here, let me quote the part that's made me realize my intolerance:
Should abortion be legal is not a question of "choice". The only question is whether a fetus is a human being or not. For society as a whole that is a decision society must make and the laws will reflect that.
Do I think a fetus is a human being? Do I think that abortion should be legal? Those are not my choices to make any more than it is my choice to decide that one or more races are not human beings. It is Societies "choice" not my "choice".
See, there it is. The following paragraph is my pure, unadulterated, unaltered to make it less harsh opinion.

No, A fetus is not yet a human being. A born baby is a human being. A thing growing inside a woman's body without fully formed limbs or organs, or features is not a person. I understand that there are people who think that life starts at the moment of conception, and I would never *make* anyone like that have an abortion, but you know what? I think that those people are WRONG. I do. I think of them as foolish people who won't accept science over religion. I think of them as being led by the nose as opposed to thinking for themselves.

I've made my decision, and I find myself intolerant of those who refuse to agree. I really do expect everyone I like to agree with me on this. I do! It's right, how can you see things any other way?

It's a little uncomfortable knowing I've got an opinion that I'm not willing to consider the other side of, but it's true. I do NOT think that an undeveloped fetus is a person, whether or not the possibility for it to develop into one exists. Therefore, the idea that I would HAVE to make that into a person USING MY BODY makes me crazy.

Oh - and you know what else I'm intolerant of? Men who think that they COULD EVER UNDERSTAND. You CAN'T. Get over it.

No comments: