Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Why Am I Liberal?

http://rsmccain.blogspot.com/2009/09/on-jews-and-liberals.html (pointed out to me by a friend who reads "Sadly, No!")
For most American Jews, the core of their Jewish identity isn't solidarity with Israel; it's rejection of Christianity. This observation may help to explain the otherwise puzzling political preferences of the Jewish community explored in Norman Podhoretz's book. Jewish voters don't embrace candidates based on their support for the state of Israel as much as they passionately oppose candidates based on their identification with Christianity -- especially the fervent evangelicalism of the dreaded "Christian Right."
-- Michael Medved

The order of the symposiasts has been re-arranged to allow Medved to have the last word for a reason: He's nailed it.
Sad truth - Medved *did* nail it. My dad bases his decisions on whatever's not Christian the way he roots for baseball teams that aren't the Yankees. OK, Medved nailed it with the qualification that by "Jews", he means "My Dad".
Never mind that evangelical Christians are overwhelmingly pro-Israel and philo-Semitic.
Holy smoke. I had to look up philo-semetic. I'd never heard that phrase before in my whole Jewish life.

Obvioulsy, I'm not the intellectual Jew that I thought I was. So if I'm not smart, why am I liberal? Am I liberal because I'm stupid? Oh, wait, am I a liberal any more? Didn't I go "centrist"?

Obviously I didn't get the memo that went out to all Jews everywhere. My bad.

No comments: