Friday, January 23, 2009

Sense and Sensibility

Bush's 'War on Terror' Comes to a Sudden End
WASHINGTON - President Obama yesterday eliminated the most controversial tools employed by his predecessor against terrorism suspects. With the stroke of his pen, he effectively declared an end to the "war on terror," as President George W. Bush had defined it, signaling to the world that the reach of the U.S. government in battling its enemies will not be limitless.

While Obama says he has no plans to diminish counterterrorism operations abroad, the notion that a president can circumvent long-standing U.S. laws simply by declaring war was halted by executive order in the Oval Office.
I'm not openly weeping with relief, but it's close.

For years I wrote blog posts saying that the government was committing crimes. For years it didn't matter. All of a sudden we have a President who knows that it does matter. I feel funny writing this, like I'm about to be all sunshine and roses and say that President Obama is perfect. Of course he's not perfect, he's a politician. I'm sure over the coming years he'll do a lot of things I disagree with. This one, though, this one makes me so happy.

No comments: