Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Different Sides of the Same Coin

I suddenly realized that I'm not spending enough time reading Anne Coutler's web site. This morning on the radio, I heard the DJ say that she brought "intelligence and wit" to the conservative political forum.

"What?", I thought, "I thought she brought unfair exaggerations and cruel remarks about killing people for disagreeing with her. Maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention!"

So, I went over to http://www.annecoulter.org and read what's up on the ol' front page. Jackpot - it's a piece about people throwing pies at her!

Late in the column, we find these wise words:
What might work better is some form of disincentive to liberals who engage in violent behavior whenever they hear an idea they don't like but can't come up with words to dispute.
My goodness, that's certainly right! People should not resort to violence! I'm with her! Except that I'd already read the paragraphs leading up to that one, like say, this bit:
Unfortunately for them, Republican men don't react favorably to two "Deliverance" boys trying to sucker-punch a 110-pound female in a skirt and heels. The geniuses ended up with bloody noses and broken bones.
- or this bit:
In the five months following the liberal ass-whupping in Arizona — I mean "fact-driven debate"
Ah, I see now. I've learned 2 things from this Anne Coulter piece:
  1. Anne Coulter is really, really proud about how skinny she is, otherwise I can't see why she'd mention it. I mean, would it be more fair to throw pies at a heavier woman, or a big, strong Republican male who could bat away the pie as if it were the merest gnat? Is a pie a dangerous weapon when thrown at such a skinny woman, because if any got in her mouth, her pencil skirt might suddenly burst? Why is her size important?
  2. Violence is wrong if it's being used against conservatives, but just fine - funny, even - if it's used in retaliation against men armed with LIFE THREATENING PIES!

No comments: