Wednesday, June 7, 2006

Lift and Separate, People!

(cross posted at Running Scared, where soon I shall be QUEEN!)

Gay-marriage amendment fails in Senate
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Senate voted down a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage on Wednesday, but Republicans planned a vote in the House of Representatives to keep a national spotlight on the hot-button issue.

The 49 to 48 Senate vote fell short of the 60 votes needed to clear a procedural hurdle...


Know why? Because this is stupid, and taking time to work on legislation about it is wasting the taxpayers' money. In fact, I'm pissed off at the 49 Senators who voted in favor of it. If the concept of same sex marriage is based on the bible stating that marriage is between a man and a woman, then it's a religious issue, and individual religious institutions can go ahead and make any rules they like about who can and can't be married by their clergy. The government has no business in religious decisions, even if it's labeled the generic "values" as if to fool us all.

Look, I feel just fine about my values without worrying about gay people getting married. My religion is officially against it, so I can't expect Orthodox Rabbi's to start performing committment ceremonies, and that's fine with me.

What if, say, there were a recognized religion that advocated same sex marriage for people who don't want to procreate? Crazy you say? may I remind you that Scientology is a recognized religion?

I find the concepts of constitutional bans that would take away people's rights to "ensure the blessings of liberty" mind-boggling.

No comments: