Thursday, June 8, 2006

Hideous Beast

I'm not an overly kind person, when it comes down to it, it's just a fact. The phrase "Hideous Beast" is one I normally reserve for my father's girlfriend, seeing as I wish she was anyone else's girlfriend, but I'm going to have to come up with another slanderous phrase for her, because I'm reassigning this one to Anne Coulter.

I was really trying to ignore her, I really was, but when I heard that she was calling 9/11 widows "the witches of East Brunswick", it felt like someone had slapped me in the face, which was surprising, seeing as I'm not one. Therefore, I concluded that she was slapping any sense of moral decency left in the country in the (metaphorical) face, and I had some of that decency stuff still left in me.

I know there are plenty of 9/11 widows out there that aren't millionaires, and aren't on the news, and are just trying to live their lives, although the only person I know personally who lost a spouse is a man. Even if you are on the news, though, even if you did write a book, or get a large insurance settlement, you don't deserve to be ripped to shreds publicly simply because a tragic twist of fate made you into a public figure.

Do we honestly have to remind her about how grief feels? I feel like Karma should be handing her a tremendous personal tragedy soon, so that she can have a hole ripped in her gut that burns on and off for years, every time you hear a phrase, or see something out of the corner of your eye, or hear certain songs. Yes, the pain lessens as time goes by, but it's always there, it becomes part of you.

I remember the days after 9/11, and the sheer amount of grief all around us was staggering. The fact that Ms. Coulter is disparaging those that experienced it first-hand for profit is simply disgusting.

No comments: