Tuesday, April 5, 2005

Probably Unnecessary

You know, everyone's writing about the pope. He was in every single mainstream newspaper in existence, yesterday. OK, I didn't confirm that, but I'd take the bet, if it was offered. So really, there's no need for me to blog about it. The thing is, I was having an email conversation with a friend, and I really felt like I managed to capture my feelings about the whole thing really well. You know how sometimes you write something, and then you look at it, and you think, "Yes, that's exactly what I meant to say"? Well, that's how I feel about the following paragraph.

...Me, well, you know that I like to take everyone individually, and look at them as a person. To me the pope appeared to be a really constant guy who honestly believed that he was bringing the word of God to people. While he was a complete bastard to women who wanted some kind of control over their bodies and homosexuals - a *complete*, unfeeling bastard - he was in fact simply acting in the way that he thought God wanted him to. He may have trampled all over people's rights, but when it came to the sanctity of life, he meant it with every fiber of his being. He would never support violence or war, and that was a good thing. So no, I can never "like" a pope, simply because I feel that Catholicism itself is a dominating, unfriendly force that does little good in the world. But John Paul II the guy? I could probably work with him on feeding the poor or something.

No comments: