Monday, March 14, 2005

Uneasy Monday

Report: Israel has plans to hit Iran nuke plant
Quote one:
LONDON - Israel has drawn up plans for a combined air and ground attack on Iranian nuclear installations if diplomacy fails to halt Tehran’s atomic program, London’s Sunday Times said.
Well that's not good news. I get the feeling that Iran is an angry nation, much stronger than the ones we've currently been bullying. A military stirke by Israel would result in Iran fighting back.

Quote two:
U.S. officials have indicated they would not stand in Israel’s way if international diplomatic efforts to halt Iran’s nuclear projects fail, the paper said.
Oh, good. So I can't count on my government to be a voice of reason, here. Fabulous.

Quote three:
"We will defend our nuclear sites with all our strength and we are ready to ward off any possible aggression," Iranian Defense Minister Ali Shamkhani told the semi-official INSA students news agency on Saturday.
See? That's what I said!

Quote four:
Asked if there was a possibility that Israel could attack Iranian nuclear installations, Vice Premier Shimon Peres said: "I don’t think so."
Oh. OK, so that makes it nice and clear, then.

This is what has made me uneasy this morning. Does Israel have an attack plan? Has the U.S. OK'ed it? Is this just an awful rumor planted in the London Times by the U.S. that we'll use as an example of why we "had" to invade Iran, later on? What are the odds of something printed in the London Times being completely untrue? Completely? I'm guessing those are long odds. I don't actually see anything good coming out of an attack on Iran, so I'm hoping that all this talk reamins at the talk and rumor level - forever.

One thing that really bothers me about it, though, is that the Israelis have a reputation for running a top-level military operation. I kind of have it in the back of my mind that if they were actually planning on attacking Iranian nuclear sites, that the only way people outside the operation would find out is when the explosions started.

No comments: