Monday, January 29, 2007

Putting the Terror Back in Terrorism

Suicide bomber at a bakery.
EILAT, Israel (AP) -- A Palestinian suicide bomber attacked a bakery in this southern Israeli resort town on Monday, killing three other people, police said. It was the first suicide bombing in Israel in nine months and the first ever to hit Eilat, Israel's southernmost city.
Eilat is a beautiful place at the southern tip of Israel. The weather there is so mild that people sleep in tents that they've pitched on the beach. The water there is a beautiful turquoise blue, and fish swim through it displaying their fantastically bright colors that I thought only happened under a black light until I saw them in person. I've been there on vacation twice, and neither time did it occur to me that I might get blown up if I stopped in a shop to buy some rolls. Constantly thinking about being blown up during every day events is terrifying.
An Islamic Jihad Web site said the attack was meant to help bring an end to weeks of Palestinian infighting that has 60 people in the Gaza Strip since December.

"The operation has a clear message to the Palestinian rivals. It is necessary to end the infighting and point the guns toward the occupation that has hurt the Palestinian people," the site said.
Damn. In my passive-aggressive way, I was actually hoping that they would just continue the infighting until all the violent ones were dead. I'm not even going to ask my characteristic "is that wrong?", because I'm pretty sure it is, and I don't actually care.

No comments: