Friday, July 20, 2007

Maybe I'm Just Tired

Maybe I'm tired, maybe I'm old, maybe I'm just starting to hate war and violence so universally that I want it all to end no matter what, I'm not sure. I do know that today when I was reading this article about Israel tying to work with Fatah: Israel frees scores of Palestinian prisoners, all I could think about is how I want it all to stop already. I've only been thinking about it since I was a teenager, and it's been going on since England carved the region up like this. People have been living with this for years and years, and yet, the animosity never dies, never fades. I read the final paragraph,
It is years since Israel and the Palestinians last discussed issues at the heart of the conflict -- borders of a Palestinian state, the return of refugees and the status of Jerusalem.
and I thought to myself, "Just give them the right of return, already". No thoughts to the fact that it would upset the people who have bought that land for themselves, no thought to how the governments could actually organize such a massive undertaking, no thought about how it would incite more violence if Palestinians actually came to *live* on land that they'd (or most likely their parents had) been displaced from, now Israeli land. Nope, I just thought "Fine, give it to them already, if it will stop the shooting".

Of course it will not stop the shooting. This continues to make me tired.

No comments: