Monday, July 30, 2007

Hollow Victory

You know how sometimes I say that I'm good at stuff? You know, like, "I'm a good singer", or, "I really like to bake", or, as in the case of the shrimp-and-goat-cheese experiment "I am a genius"? Well, today I'd like to officially announce that I SUCK at wood-working projects. Not even real wood working projects, just basic assembly.

I bought a lovely chair from bestadirondackchair.com. The web site said that it comes 85% assembled, and included easy instructions. OK, the instructions weren't so bad, but if that was 85% assembled, then WHY WAS THE BACK OF THE CHAIR IN 11 PIECES?! I had to put the 8 back slats together with the 3 brackets. I did not do a very good job. I'm kinda pissed off, because it was not a cheap chair. Yes, it looks lovely now that it's put together, but it took me 7 hours to do, with 2 breaks. First break was for lunch and to go buy a 1/2 inch ratchet bit, because apparently I only had up to 7/16 in the house, and the second was to have dinner and watch a movie. I rented Little Miss Sunshine, which probably had a fine ending, but the disk froze and I can't yet say for sure.

So what I'm saying is, my Sunday was not the easy restful day that I'd hoped it would be, and I suck at putting together furniture.

No comments: