Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Were They Kidding?

I am an AOL member. I know what you're thinking - "AOL? For someone as net-savvy as you? What gives, Tami?"

Well, what gives is that I've been an AOL member since 1995 or so, and I'm not changing my address just because it's unhip. I'm going to stick with it until it's cool again, dammit. And besides, there really are some useful features to the service. Like, for instance, those of my relatives who completely fear computers can figure out how to send me email.

So, this morning, I signed on to AOL to check my mail, and waded through the zillion messages. When does mail from people you know, but don't want to hear from become spam? Never. *sigh* Right, back to my point. When you sign on, you have a welcome page. I chose the "world news" welcome page, or whatever option gives me news headlines. Today, there was a story on Bolton being blocked again.
President Bush faces a politically thorny situation - and stark choices - now that Senate Democrats twice have blocked John Bolton's confirmation as U.N. ambassador.

The president could withdraw the nomination, authorize further concessions to Democrats over access to information they seek or bypass lawmakers altogether by appointing the former State Department official to the job temporarily without the Senate's OK.
There was a poll - Should the President bypass the Senate?

Are they kidding me? OK, for the record then, I answered their poll "no". The thing is, there was no comment space, so I figured I'd add mine here:

Comment:
No, the President should not bypass the Senate, making the checks and balances that are supposed to be built into our system look even more like a joke then they already do in these days of a Republican-controlled House and Senate. No.

No comments: