Friday, May 5, 2006

Not Running on a Full Tank

I haven't been running at 100% since last Saturday night at about midnight when I was suddenly and surprisingly ill. I was actually asked if I was throwing up because I'd had too much to drink. I have NEVER thrown up because I've had too much to drink, I'm sure as shootin' not gonna start now. No, I was sick with... something. I don't know what.

If you've ever met my family, though, you'd know that sensitivity to the needs of others isn't our strong suit - not when those others are our relatives. "Suck it up and think about me" may as well be a family motto.

So last Sunday I was supposed to go see my sister's fiance do a demonstration at a museum in Pennsylvania. I was looking forward to it, I was, but the whole puking-my-guts up until 2:30 in the morning had put somewhat of a damper on my enthusiasm. The arrangement was that I would wait for my father to go to a brunch with the people who'd shown up to his 50th high school reunion, and then we'd drive down together. I informed my father of my health.

"What, you mean you want me to drive down there BY MYSELF?"

An hour later, wondering what the hell happens to my ability to refuse people when I'm ill, I'm DRIVING through Philadelphia on Rte 1. looking for Red Lion Road. Not even just traveling, I had to flipping drive. So uncool.

Anyway, I got there, and everyone I know (my sister, her fiance, an odd assortment of our friends) tells me how tired I look. Thanks, guys. They were right though, I was beat. So I sat my butt on a stone wall under a flowering tree, and looked around. Slowly I started noticing that it's absolutely gorgeous there. I regretted not having my camera with me, then I remembered that my phone has a 1.3 megapixel camera in it. Why not give it a try? I figured. I think it worked out pretty well. I don't have the kind of detail shots I'd normally get, but for a phone, I'm pretty impressed.

the view from my spot on the wall

If you're going to have to be somewhere besides home when you don't feel well, this particular spot is a pretty good second choice.

No comments: