Wednesday, March 8, 2006

No, YOU Back Down!

US, Iran clash over nuclear referral

I don't get it. We have this big ol' UN thingy so that everyone can get together and talk rationally about international relations. There's interpreters aplenty, I'm guessing decent coffee, and yet, we still get statements like this:
"The United States may have the power to cause harm and pain but it is also susceptible to harm and pain," it said in a statement obtained by Reuters on the sidelines of the IAEA board meeting in Vienna. "So if the United States wishes to choose that path, let the ball roll."
To be fair, the U.S. is pushing them *hard* to give up any hopes of developing their nuclear program further.

I was going to say that it's like we're saying we can't trust them to act as responsible adults, but it's not like that, it's exactly that.

We have all these diplomacy rules in place, and yet at the base of it all, we (the nations of the world) wind up acting like willful teenagers so often that I wonder if maybe evolution theory isn't missing something about when a species starts to backtrack.

Leaders need to act like adults, and not insulted duelists. I'm glad that it seems like the only threats being made so far are veiled (thinly), and referring to the movement of money and oil, and not the movement of soldiers and bombs, but I'm not glad that it's occurring at all.

I see how if I was an Iranian leader I'd feel backed into a corner, and I see how the U.S. cannot stop pushing, because if we're right, and Iran is trying to build nuclear weapons, that's a bad thing.

Note - I don't want anyone to have nuclear weapons, they scare the bejeebus out of me.

I wish that the leaders of the world were trustworthy, mature adults, and while I'm at it, I'm going to wish for a pony.

No comments: