Monday, September 12, 2005

I Know What *My* Answers Would Be...

Believe it or not, I stumbled across this via Malkin:
Judge Bork's Inkblot
1. The Ninth Amendment provides that "the enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people." Do you believe that this language binds federal courts, or do you believe - as Robert Bork does - that it is an indecipherable "inkblot?" If the former, how are federal courts to determine what rights are retained by the people? On the other hand, if the Ninth Amendment does not create enforceable rights, what is it doing taking up one-tenth of the Bill of Rights?
I think this is important, if archaically worded. I interpret it as saying that my rights do not supersede the rights of others. That's what I make of that inkblot.

No comments: