Thursday, September 23, 2004

Stealing from my friends, random fluff

Jazz has a quote of the day up from the Jon Stewart interview in Time Magazine.

This has inspired me to do a little reading and discover that Jon's original last name was Leibowitz. How come I didn't already know that?

You know, I think that Jon's a really cool comedian and all, but why are people taking him seriously as a political commentator? Do they think he writes all that stuff alone? I watch his show (but never yet while intoxicated!), I love his show, and I get a little confused every time my friend Zoe says that Jon just wasn't all that funny in high school. I believe her, though, high school is not often the time when someone's confidence solidifies enough to become a real wit. You're still cooking, then.

Know what I'd really like? I'd like to have an extra room where I could decorate with a car sofa. That would be cool. Jon had a car seat for the guests on his original show, a zillion years ago. It was one of the things that hooked me in.

So, I was watching CNN last night, and there was a story about how both candidates are creatively choosing numbers in their speeches. For example, Bush says (in a statement correcting an earlier, bigger, lie) that there are 95,000 Iraqi troops ready to fight. Kerry has stated that this number is way off, that there are only 5,000. CNN had experts on that stated that there *are* currently only 6,300 trained Iraqi soldiers, but if you add in all the police officers and national guardsmen and stuff, that theres something like 93,000 of them total. (I looked briefly for the actual numbers, didn't quickly find them, am working from memory). So we see where each side is picking the facts that they like from. A second expert was involved, and he said, yes, there are close to 95,000 Iraqi "security personnel", but that a ridiculously small percentage of them were actually trained to fight, many of them do not report for duty or wear their uniforms, and the number of active troops is impossible to gauge accurately. So, really, both candidates are making stuff up.

Let me be the first (although I'm not actually a member of the media) to follow Jon Stewart's suggestion, and say to them both, "No! Bad Monkey".

No comments: